Attitude, attitude, attitude – becoming vegetarian is a process. Give yourself time to develop new eating habits. Soon your new diet will become second nature as you learn where to find wonderful vegetarian choices. Having other vegetarians in your life will make your new compassionate way of eating easier. Get involved with local vegetarian and animal rights groups to meet like-minded friends. Remember you are making a big difference in your own life as well as in the lives of countless animals.
- Number of people worldwide who will die as a result of malnutrition this year: 20 million.
- Number of people who could be adequately fed using land freed if Americans reduced
- their intake of meat by 10%: 100 million.
- Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 80.
- Percentage of oats grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 95.
- How frequently a child dies as a result of malnutrition: every 2.3 seconds.
- Pounds of potatoes that can be grown on an acre: 40,000.
- Pounds of beef produced on an acre: 250.
- Percentage of U.S. farmland devoted to beef production: 56.
- Pounds of grain and soybeans needed to produce a pound of beef: 16.
- Primary cause of greenhouse effect: carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuels Fossil fuels needed to produce meat-centered diet vs. a meat-free diet: 3 times more . Percentage of U.S. topsoil lost to date: 75. Percentage of U.S. topsoil loss directly related to livestock raising: 85.
- Number of acres of U.S. forest cleared for cropland to produce meat-centered diet: 260 million. Area of tropical rainforest consumed in every quarter-pound of rainforest beef: 55 sq. feet. Current rate of species extinction due to destruction of tropical rainforests for meat grazing and other uses: 1,000 per year.
- Increased risk of breast cancer for women who eat meat daily compared to less than
- once a week: 3.8 times. For women who eat eggs daily compared to once a week: 2.8 times. Increased risk of fatal ovarian cancer for women who eat eggs 3 or more times a week vs. less than once a week: 3 times. Increased risk of fatal prostate cancer for men who consume meat, cheese, eggs and milk daily vs. sparingly or not at all: 3.6 times.
- Most common cause of death in the U.S.: heart attack.
- How frequently a heart attack kills in the U.S.: every 45 seconds.
- Average U.S. man’s risk of death from heart attack: 50 percent.
- Risk of average U.S. man who eats no meat, dairy or eggs: 4 percent.
- Amount you reduce risk if you eliminate meat, dairy and eggs from your diet: 90 percent
- Average cholesterol level of people eating meat-centered-diet: 210 mg/dl.
- Chance of dying from heart disease if you are male and your blood cholesterol level is
- 210 mg/dl: greater than 50 percent.
- User of more than half of all water used for all purposes in the U.S.: livestock production.
- Gallons of water needed to produce a pound of wheat: 25.
- Gallons of water needed to produce a pound of California beef: 5,000.
- Years the world’s known oil reserves would last if every human ate a meat-centered diet:13.
- Years they would last if human beings no longer ate meat: 260.
- Calories of fossil fuel expended to get 1 calory of protein from beef: 78.
- To get 1 calory of protein from soybeans: 2.
- Ingredients: Any one of our instant noodles, fresh vegetables (if you don’t have fresh
- veggies handy, then our Just Corn and Just Veggies are just as good), Roasted Seaweed (optional), Wei-I Best Grade Laver Ro Su (bacon bits) (optional) and any of our frozen gourmet.
- Percentage of U.S. antibiotics fed to livestock: 55.
- Percentage of staphylococci infections resistant to penicillin in 1960: 13.
- Percentage resistant in 1988: 91.
- Response of European Economic Community to routine feeding of antibiotics to livestock: ban.
- Response of U.S. meat and pharmaceutical industries to routine feeding of antibiotics to livestock: full and complete support.
- Fewer than 1 out of every 250,000 slaughtered animals is tested for toxic chemical
- Percentage of U.S. mother’s milk containing significant levels of DDT: 99.
- Percentage of U.S. vegetarian mother’s milk containing significant levels of DDT: 8.
- Contamination of breast milk, due to chlorinated hydrocarbon pesticides in animal
- products, found in meat-eating mothers vs. non-meat eating mothers: 35 times higher.
- Number of animals killed for meat per hour in the U.S.: 660,000.
- Occupation with the highest turnover rate in U.S.: slaughterhouse worker.
- Occupation with the highest rate of on-the-job-injury in U.S.: slaughterhouse worker.
- Food is the source of the body’s chemistry, and what we ingest affects our consciousness, emotions and experiential pattern. If we want to live in higher consciousness, in peace and happiness and love for all creatures, then we should consider not eating meat, fish, shellfish, fowl or eggs.
- Major religions around the world such as Buddhism or Hinduism teach that all of our actions including our choice of food have karmic consequences. By involving oneself in the cycle of inflicting injury, pain and death, even indirectly by eating other creatures, one must in the future experience in equal measure the suffering caused.