1. Walk or bike your kids to school, or if that’s not feasible, ride on weekends–a family that bikes together saves the planet together!
2. Teach them about Farmers Markets, It’s so important bring awareness early in life. It’s fun to see where your food comes from. Explain how food choices affect their health and environment. Be honest about where meat comes from.
3. Make sure their toys are PVC-free–keep them from breathing in any off gasing plastic softeners.
4. Don’t reward with toys. Try to teach them that happiness doesn’t comes from buying new things, and the planet doesn’t need the resource extraction, chemical-pollution and landfill clogging that comes with making and eventually trashing them.
5. Use natural shampoos, creams and soaps. What you put on your young one’s body is as important as what you put in it.
6. Feed them organic whenever you can afford it, so they get a pesticide, hormone, and antibiotic-free diet.
7. Say no to high-fat, high-sugar, chemical-laden processed foods. There are plenty of natural alternatives, even for packaged kids’ snacks.
9. Resist the urge to swaddle your babe in landfill-clogging disposable diapers. But if cloth is out of the question, get unbleached, biodegradable, chlorine-free throw-away ones. Like these.
10. Teach them to love nature: take them to the park, on little hikes, or picnics in conservation centres. Teach them that animals are nature, including house pets and that we need to respect them. When you teach a child to be kind to animals, you help pave the way to a brighter future for all living beings.